Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Walk With God

Christianity has always played a big role in my life. Out of all of the different influences and means of exposure to Christianity, my family is the main reason where I am spiritually. Both of my parents are strong Christians. One of my grandmothers sings in her church every Sunday and my late Grandfather was a minister. WIthout them, I don't know where I'd be.

Throughout my life my family was in and out of church. My parents never really found a church home they liked but we still went occasionally. (They finnaly found one that they liked this past year) With their strong faith in God, they raised me with bible verses and many references to the bible. They challenge me and push me to become more like Jesus in every thing that I do. My parents always did every thing out of love with God in mind.

Despite many influnces and constant exposure, religion is one of those things you have to find out for yourself. Even though they had done and said all of the right things, I never really knew what it was about. It wasn't until I started searching for anwers on my own and really digging into it that I unerstood what Christianity was all about. Don't get me wrong, I don't have all of the answers but I do have a better understanding of what it's about.

Walking around campus observing my peers, I realize how lsot we are and how much further we really have to go.

3 comments:

Brian said...

it is so refreshing to hear someone say what you said. As students enter college over 75% do not go to chruch anymore. The key to success in life on earth is your relationship with Jesus. I was reading an artcile yesteray about the new starting centerfielder for the Rangers, Josh Hamilton. He came out of a lifestyle of total drug addiction and alcoholism because of the grace and power of God. His special interest trainer said that he always tells Hamilton to Set your eyes on Jesus and everything else will fall into place. this is so true and so evident in my life. As the day progresses I can tell if I have skipped my quiet time that morning. God is such a huge prescence in our lives but we just have to look. George Strait's new song "I Saw God Today" says it best when he sings "I’ve been to church, I’ve read the book
I know he’s here but I don’t look
Near as often as I should .. yeah I know I should
His fingerprints are everywhere
I just slowed down to stop and stare
Opened my eyes and man I swear
I saw God today." All we have to do is look and we will see His prescence!

Allyson said...

I believe you have such a wonderful outlook on your religion and your God. Many college students, including myself aren’t on that level yet. However, I do believe that I have a close bond with God and know he is the reason for everything that occurs in my life. Many college students would probably have know idea of what you’re talking about if they read this blog. That’s probably because they’re out partying from Thursday until Sunday night. Don’t get me wrong—I’m no angel, but I do think it’s a bit immoral to sin all weekend, and not even have the decency to go repent on Sunday morning. Nevertheless that is not my business—especially because I’m not perfect myself but that’s something those particular people have to deal with.

Your upbringing about your religion reminds me of my own, being that I grew up in church and my grandmother is really religious. I learned a lot from my grandmother about my religion and she is very responsible for some of my beliefs. However, as I get older I’m beginning to have new views and outlooks about my religion. Unlike before its truly beginning to be something I believe in with all my heart, and not just a learned trait or belief. I really appreciate your view about Christianity; it has made me take a better look at my walk of life.

laura grace gill said...

I agree with what you said about how frusterating it can be to simply walk around campus and notice how lost so many students and faculty are here at TCU. I grew up going to church every Sunday and my parents are both strong Christians as well, so I understand where you are coming from in that aspect. My dad is also the minister of my church, so believe me I know what it' like coming from a religious family like yours. Only it was much different for me going to my own father's church. It is so much harder to listen to your own dad than it is to listen to anyone else preach. I went to a different church on wednesday nights and that was what really kept me on track. I haven't found a church home here at TCU yet, but I'm still looking. I immediately was drawn to your "open blog" because of the title. "My walk with God" has been something that has been on my mind very often lately. I'm not exactly where I want to be at this point in my life, but I'm getting there. Everyone is at a different level with Christ and I know where I am right now and I know where I want to be. I know that God's grace is the only thing that gives me the strength in this life. It is so important to remember that Jesus teaches us not to worry about things that He will take care of us. My biggest struggle lately is that I havent' been giving everything to Him. I want to give some situations to Him, but I still want to have some control, but I know that I don't have any control and I need to trust that He will allow everything to work out according to his plan. Your blog has been such a blessing to read and to respond to as it has allowed me to worship God and to take some time to write about something that seems worthwhile. Thanks for being bold and sharing this. God Bless and Bless God.