Saturday, February 16, 2008

#6 No "Kidd"ing Around

Even those that don't pay much attention to the NBA or Dallas area sports know about the news that has been going around for much of last week. Jason Kidd from the New Jersey Nets was almost traded back to his former team the Dallas Mavericks. Now, I have been a Mavericks fan since I was born; I was there when Jason Kidd first played for the Mavs. I remember those years well, and how much he contributed to the team. And even though I know his potential and have seen him play, I don't want him, which luckily has become more and more unlikely as recent news stories have stated.

The main reason I feel this way is because of the ridiculous trade terms that the Nets were asking. Devin Harris should go no where right now. His averages in all categories (points, assists, rebounds) have improved greatly over last years, and he will only continue to become a better player. Why trade him away so we can win a championship this year, when we still have the potential to win this year and even next year? Sure I want to win, and I want to win this year. But I feel it is not in the best interest of the team to sacrifice our coming years so we can win the championship this season.

I believe the team and Mark Cuban will make the right decision, and because of George and Stackhouse's decisions and comments, it now seems this trade is dying out. So here's to a great rest of the season and playoffs with our current great team. Time to watch the Stars and the NBA All-Star game.

1 comment:

Eric said...

At first glance of the title No “Kidd” Around I knew it had to be about Jason Kidd and I knew I wanted to respond to this post. A lot has changed in the NBA basketball world since this blog was posted by T.J. last week. For a couple of days it seemed that the trade involving Jason Kidd was not going to happen, however, after some re-negotiating, Kidd is now a Dallas Maverick. Along with T.J., I cannot believe the Mavs were willing to give up 5 current players, 2 future first round draft picks, and cash for just one player. The young point guard, Devan Harris, was developing into a great player for the Mavericks and is still young at the age of 24. Yet, for some reason, the Mavs organization thought the 35-year-old Jason Kidd has more to offer. I’m afraid Cuban may think that the Mavs opportunity for winning an NBA championship is running out and that Kidd is the one who can lead the Mavs to the title. Kidd can help the Mavs win now, but I think Harris and the other younger players could have won now as well as 5 years down the road.
Since the trade, the Mavericks have had a 1-1 record and seem to be in the same situation they were before the trade. Only time will tell if the Kidd trade was a smart change for the Mavs, and if he has the ability to lead the Mavericks to their first championship in franchise history. As a Mavs fan, I can only hope they can prove me wrong.