Thursday, February 14, 2008

#6, Light At The End

This week, I performed in a choreography showcase called Brown Bag with the TCU Dance Department. I was in a piece choreographed by my good friend, Elizabeth which was a contemporary ballet set to the Motion Picture Soundtrack from "The Notebook." Elizabeth discussed the meaning of this dance to us before she began to teach it. She choreographed it last year when she was going through a hard time and it portrays the struggle of the situation, whatever it may be to the dancer personally and how there is always a "light at the end of the tunnel" and there is hope in each and every situation. It was such an awesome opportunity to be a part of her piece. I enjoyed dancing it so much, but it killed me that she couldn't dance with us, because she had an accident about a week ago and had to get about 25 stitches in her knee. She is such a beautiful dancer and she moves with such grace and fluidity. She inspired me through her words and her actions in so many ways. She was proud to see how it turned out at the showing which was such a blessing. It must have been so hard for her to watch the dance knowing that she couldn't dance with us.

As I continued to watch the show after I got off stage I was drawn to my other close friend, Caitlin, whom is the reason why I came to TCU. She went to my highschool and graduated a year before I did and she was the one who tole me about TCU. Anyways, at the performance she performed a contemporary solo which was so beautiful. She too inspired me as I watched her evey move. She captures the audience in a way that is so difficult to even begin to try and explain. She moved with so much fluidity and filled the space with her presence. The emotions on her face alone were entertaining enough for me, let alone her gorgeous dancing. To be able to draw in an audience to me is what makes a dancer. Technique alone could never suffice as the definition of a good dancer.

1 comment:

Kelli Marshall said...

What nice comments about your friends and their talents. Thanks for sharing.