Saturday, February 16, 2008

# 6 No Pain, No Gain

Studying can be the most difficult and time-consuming thing to do in college. As many has said before, in high school there was no need to study making the transition to college hard to deal with. Never being a "pro" at studying, I found it hard to do at the beginning of last semester. Being a new-coming freshman at TCU I did not know how things were going to work. I went to classes, took my notes, and never looked at them ever last semester. At that time I seriously did not have the time or desire to studying, so I did not. With a new view studying because of how things turned out last semester I realized that it is extremely important to set aside study-time. Just last week I had to tests in Statistics and Religion which would be the first in both classes. I felt that this was my time to show that I can study correctly with good outcomes hopefully. With both tests I made reviews, and studied them until two in the morning. Waking up was of course difficult, but when I was given the test I knew what I was doing. That to me was a big progress from last semester when I would just take the test without once looking back on notes, which eventually lead to failure. I was scared to receive my tests back, but surprisingly I did well! That showed me that a little hard work and time can go a far ways. I pushed myself to study, something I was never good at or ever wanted to do, and good outcomes came from it.

3 comments:

Kelli Marshall said...

You write, "I pushed myself to study, something I was never good at or ever wanted to do, and good outcomes came from it." Fantastic! Congrats on the good grades.

akshaya said...

“No pain, no gain” a familiar and often heard expression drew me to this post.

The expression implies that there are no short cuts to success.

It is something that I can relate to but in a different way than the author has explained. Being from India,the education system is such that good grades mattered and high school meant a lot of hard work. Yet when I came to America, to TCU I still found it hard to keep up. It seemed like there was always work to do. The syllabus in class consisted of things I had covered back in high school yet I was not doing as well as I thought I should have been. Then it dawned on me, the culture was different, the systems were different. I needed getting used to the new environment, the people and dealing with my home sickness. As the semester progressed I got used to the system and managed to pull up my grades, but not without spending many late nights at the library and many early mornings going over notes just before the tests.

So I agree that if you work hard, good always comes from it.

Jenny said...

# 7
When I saw your title, I felt it can bring cheer to me who am really having hard time to study. I am also freshmen who just got into TCU last semester. Actually, for me I got good grades last semester and I thought I was doing well in college. But these days I feel I am not doing well, because my entire test grades I got so far were too bad. I feel like I studied all lot than before, but my grades are so low. Even I just want to give up and go back to my country. After I read you writing I looked back how I studied in this semester and last semester. And I noticed that I studied differently. Last semester I kept reviewing all my notes and reading book everyday but this semester I was studying just right before the test day. And if I don’t have any tests, I never studied. I was full of conceit that I will be good even though I don’t study at all. “No Pain, No Gain” shows me well that I need to study to get good grades and if I don’t study there is anything I can get. I want to thank you for making me to realize.