Friday, February 15, 2008

#6 An Angel

Today I found out that a friend of mine passed away last night, on Valentine’s Day. My friend, Rebekah, has been suffering a long battle of cancer since she was sixteen years old. It is hurtful to see someone leave this world when they are so young and have so much ahead of them. Rebekah had one of the most beautiful hearts in the entire world. Every month I would get an update on how she was doing with her treatments and she always sounded so upbeat and persistent. Rebekah told me in a recent email, “Would I rather be feeling good? Of course! But this experience makes me a better person- a stronger person. It has challenged me in ways I would never have imagined. Once again I will tell you I am happy where I am in life and would not take it away for the world.” She never let the cancer destroy her spirit or her relationship with God.

Rebekah has changed my life in many ways. She has shown me that burdens in life such as hard tests and long essays are challenges and opportunities. I am so lucky to have the chance to even attend college and master new challenges. I have learned to take the disappointments in life and make the most of them. Through Rebekah’s experience, I have learned that when things we don’t plan for get put in front of us, how we respond largely defines who we are. It hurts to see sweet Rebekah leave, but I know that she has so much eternal happiness ahead of her. Whenever I am having a bad day, I will look up to the sky and remember that persistence and faith will always get me through it.

1 comment:

Kelli Marshall said...

What a nice tribute to your friend, Catherine. Thanks for sharing.