Saturday, February 16, 2008

#6 My Mom is karaoking??

This weekend was Kappa Mom's Weekend, how fun does that sound? Surprisingly it was a ton of fun. The moms got to put down their overbearing, protective front and enjoy the weekend as a college girl while we, the daughters, had to put up the protective front. The daughters took all the moms out to eat and get drinks, by the end of the first night it seemed as if the Mom's were having almost more fun than the kids! After dinner we decided to take our crazy Kappa moms to our local bar that we always hang out at, thinking it might be fun and a good idea. When we arrived, the moms kept drinking and having a blast while we were getting a little worried one of them might embarrass us. We kept mingling with our friends and then i heard a familiar voice on the microphone...it was my mother, and of course a couple of other Kappa Moms singing their hearts our to Bennie and the Jets. I did not know what to think or do, I was terrified; my mother is at our bar singing karaoke with all of my friends around. I started to get embarrassed... but then i thought to myself we are both adults now and I realized that my mom has become not just a mother but one of my best friends. And that is a relationship that all mother and daughters should try to accomplish. After this weekend, I consider myself lucky and fortunate to have such a close friend that is also my Mom.

2 comments:

Kelli Marshall said...

Not only did the title of your blog make me laugh, but so did this line: "I did not know what to think or do [when I heard my mom]; I was terrified." :o)

Jenny said...

Before I wrote down my blog, always I read several examples to know how I should have to write. One of the writings which caught my eye was your title, “My Mom is karaoking?” because I cannot imagine my mom is singing in the front of people. So I started reading and your story was so fun and interesting. Also I could make connection with you. And this story remind me similar story I experienced before. When I was living in my country, my entire relatives lived very closely so we met very often. One day my relatives decided to go karaoke to celebrate my mother’s birthday. For reference, my mom cannot sing well. While everyone was having fun, I saw my mom started to sing and I wanted to keep my mom away from microphone. But I saw my mom was so happy and enjoying even though she knew she couldn’t sing well. I was little embarrassed about what my mom did but suddenly I became happy too when I realized my mom was so happy. When I was younger than now, sometimes I was so embarrassed my mom but as I am getting old and being adult, I can understand my mother better. My mom is one of my best friends and I felt lucky to have such kinds of my mom just like you felt.