Saturday, February 16, 2008

#6: The Latest and Greatest TCU Club

Last Monday, the first meeting for Gymnastics Club was held at The Cheer Connection about twenty minutes away from campus. Although we had a small turnout of ten or eleven; it was still an exciting time for me. I was made the treasurer at that first meeting, and we are still working with SGA to get some funding, and make the club "official."
Our dues are relatively low ($60) when you factor in the diversity and overall space we have at The Cheer Connection. We've got your standard floor mat area for doing floor routines, two sets of rings, a horse, a hot box, two sets of parallel bars, two sets of competition bars, a vault, a balance beam, an elongated trampoline, a springy floor section, and plenty of various mats and pads to minimize the chance for injury. While this sounds confusing and hard to remember, bear in mind that I remember all of this after just two sessions.
We are definitely looking for more members regardless of prior experience, not only to have a good time but to help lower dues. My friend, Robert Voelker, and I are doing Gymnastics Club this semester without any prior experience. Ok, I lied. I tried gymnastics once when I was four but couldn’t even do a cartwheel then. Come out to The Cheer Connection on Mondays or Wednesdays, and get in contact with our president, Travis Doig.

1 comment:

HHall said...

I really look up and respect students who have the will power to start up or join a very new Club at his or her's University. I find it very brave and adventerous of a student to step out of ones comfort level and join or even start a club of his or her interests. I know it takes time and commitment to get the club started and to get the word out, but I think in the end it is very worth it. I have always wanted to start a club or belong to one other than my sorority. Clubs can be so beneficial because you meet a lot of new people that share a common interest of yours. Clubs can provide diversity to your life because you meet people that are different than your friends or the same people that you're used to hanging out with. Interest clubs on your university campus keep life interesting and keep people more well-rounded.
When I was part of a student council club my Senior year in high school, I met so many new and different people that i never really hung out with in high school; and they turned out to be so kind, interesting, and helpful. Hanging out with those new and different people for just a small amount of time per week made my social and school life more interesting.