Saturday, February 16, 2008

6: A stich in Time...


ONCE apon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I was requested to sew some garments for an African fashion show that was happening the next day. I got all the measurements, drew out a sketch of something I had in mind, and got the fabric from the person who was organizing the event. She wanted the costumes by about 11:00 the next day, so I had a very limited time to turn the garments around.


That night was a wild night. I had an idea of what i wanted to do in my head, but I didn't have any time to make a muslin (a prototype in muslin, which is cheaper fabric and easier to change than expensive silks and brocades) so I went directly to the fabric, a leopard print cotton/poly blend. I cut out the fabric, hoping that it would provide the desired effect, and started sewnig them at 12:30 AM. I finsished all three of them by around 3:30, and I was worried I would have to make adjustments to them after they were fitted on the models.


The night of the show, I was anxious to see my garments, hoping they turned out how I had envisioned them. When the girls walked out on to the runway, everybody was in awe at the garments. My hard work pulled off, and everybody was impresssed that I was in essence, able to throw together a perfect outfit. They fit the girls perfectly and I was very proud that there were no catastrophes in the end.

1 comment:

Kelli Marshall said...

Congrats, SCB, on getting it right the first time around! :o)