Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Blog Finale

I began this class as a moderately educated Seinfeld fan; however as the semester went on I learned to appreciate mise en scene, they say, I say and the freedom to state my opinions. The first challenge I encountered was to look beyond the hilarity of each episode and uncover the hidden metaphors and precise blocking. Exceptional examples of these two would be "The Couch" (Oct. 27, 1994) and "The Subway" (Jan. 8, 1992). In "The Couch" the controversy of abortion arises throughout the episode, concluding with Kramer and Poppy arguing whether a pizza becomes a pizza before or after it comes out of the oven. In "The Subway", the importance of blocking structures the entire episode. It was, and certainly still is, difficult to identify these aspects on my own but I have learned to understand this complexity.
An enjoyable part of this course was combining my creativity and specific aspects of intertexuality, narrative structure or self referential material. It's been really interesting to discuss these new terms and to be limited to using argumentative writing. I have definitely improved integrating an essay and utilizing this skill.
This course has helped me to discover more about a topic (specifically aspects of a sitcom) and how to effectively convey an opinion that opposes another.

No comments: