Thursday, April 24, 2008

#14: Learning from SEINFELD?

Over this past semester, I believe I have become a much stronger writer and much more confident in my ability to think critically. Before this class, I had seen Seinfeld episodes and thought it was just a funny sitcom. However, now after becoming the Seinfeld scholar that I am, I now know that the show is humorous on a much more complex level. In addition, I had no idea that the show dealt with so many political issues such as race, sexuality, and religion, and what the importance these issues brought to the show.
For example, in the episode “The Outing,” the issue of homosexuality is addressed and the catch phrase, “not that there’s anything wrong with that” is stressed over and over again. After studying this, I am able to understand that Seinfeld did this for two specific reasons. The first reason is for comedy. The show uses this topic as its main source of humor involving the mass confusion of whether or not Jerry and George are gay as well as their family’s reaction to the news. The second reason is to make sure the show’s position on sexuality is neutral. The show uses this topic as its main source of humor throughout the episode the obvious over use of “not that there’s anything wrong with that” is something that is used by most of the characters and their intent to not to offend anyone is certainly clear. With my improved critical thinking ability, I am able to break down the show’s ideas and have a greater appreciation for Seinfeld as a result.

No comments: