Friday, April 25, 2008

14: The End of All Things Good

It’s the middle of August. I begin my trek to the far end of campus, and up the 6 flights of stairs to my class. ENGL 10803, meeting in the Nursing building? I was very confused, but continued to go. Maybe this would be one of the classes I would rethink before the drop date. Its 12:01 PM. My professor hands out the syllabi. "We will spend the next 16 weeks studying and analyzing Seinfeld, which aired in 1988-1999."
Oh my goodness, what have I gotten myself into?!? I was very worried, never have seen an episode of Seinfeld before, never cared to even, and here I am, at TCU, taking a class where I watch TV for a good majority of the semester. All my qualms went away when meeting with my other friends, who had essay after essay; book after book; test after test in their other English Composition courses. What the heck? I'll take it, and boy, I am sure glad I did.
Throughout this semester, I have refocused my writing skills. The essays yearn for a special, academic writing, while these blogs, a little less in length, also require the same attention, if not more, to carefully and precisely tailor them to be the average length of a blog.
The elements of technological developments were evident in this class. This blog only continued to reflect that, as we could pull images, information, and other resources and compile them onto a website anyone in the world could stumble across on.
Seinfeld has become a commonplace in my life, I often find myself quoting lines from Seinfeld just as often as I do from Vonnegut or Shakespeare or any other notable literary work. It was a very good lesson in argumentative writing and construction. One could take this and apply it to many other areas in the academics, and I know that without my Seinfeldian experience, I would not be the same person.

No comments: