Saturday, April 5, 2008

NIGGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In today’s society there are many different political and social issues that we deal with. SEINFELD does an extremely good job of taking these “hot topics” and making them humorous in an effective way. One of the funniest and most well done examples of this is when SEINFELD deals with race.
I think that “The Wizard” (2/26/98) was a great example of SEINFELD’S creativity and wit when dealing with America’s struggle with race relations. This episode showed how me awkward white people could feel when conversations and situations dealing with race arise. I got the feeling that a lot of white people are extremely cautious when it comes to race. For example when George (Jason Alexander), Elaine (Julia-Louis Dreyfus), and Jerry (Jerry Seinfeld) were sitting in the restaurant, they were talking about Darrell, Elaine’s apparent black boyfriend. While Elaine and Jerry were loudly questioning Darrell’s race, George interjects with, “Should we be talking about this?” George, being the humble and courteous man that he is (complete sarcasm), was simply not trying to offend anyone.
This is a small but great example of my point. I get the feeling that a lot of Caucasians feel bad about race relations in early American history. They don’t want to offend minorities and are slightly cautious with what they say and do around them. Being a minority myself, I think it’s slightly humorous.
Another example of this was when we were in class and Dr. Marshall showed us the Chris Rock skit. He was poking fun at black people by crudely explaining the difference between black people and “niggas.” I had heard the skit before so I only laughed a little at the beginning. At this time the entire class was laughing as well. As soon as I stopped, all other laughter just ceased to exist. Strange. I could feel the eyes burning into the back of my head. A cloud of awkwardness seemed to hover over the entire classroom. It was a little weird at first but then I realized that the rest of the class didn’t want to offend me by laughing to hard. Being one of two black people in the entire class, you would think that I felt uncomfortable. It’s ironic because I actually think that they felt more awkward then I did. Funny.

No comments: